Energy Auditor provides in depth information on energy audit terminology, principles and skills for calculating cost effective building shell retrofit strategies and generating a work order. The course follows the Department for Energy’s standardized curriculum for Energy Auditor – Single Family and has been modified to align with the NREL Job Task Analysis for Energy Auditor. The structure of the course includes lecture, dialogue, and practical experience through hands-on skill sets.
Additionally, this course can serve as a review to prepare participants for the Building Performance Institute’s (BPI) written and field exam for certification as an Energy Auditor. Learn more about Home Energy Professional certification. As a BPI Test Center, Montana Weatherization Training Center proctors both exams for additional fees. These exams can be arranged by request.
This course has 30 contact hours and can qualify as 30 continuing education units (CEU) toward Home Energy Professional Recertification.
- Identify common environmental health risks such as mold, asbestos, and lead paint
- Conduct an accurate blower door assessment and interpret the results
- Perform pressure pan and duct blaster assessment test
- Understand building science basics
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with a client
- Understand the importance of complete and accurate paperwork
- Recognize potential health and safety risks for installers and crew members
- Conduct a worst case CAZ depressurization test
- Perform accurate volume calculations for a home
- Demonstrate appropriate estimation of materials, labor, and other costs for a job
- Evaluate the safety and efficiency of a forced-air furnace
- Use infrared thermography to evaluate the energy efficiency of a building
Organization of Course
This course is a lecture-lab course. Most topics are covered first in the classroom and then those concepts are applied in the training lab. Student participation in discussions in the classroom and in the lab exercises is very important. This course has a written final exam and student participation is graded as pass/fail.
Grading Criteria and Passing Score (In-House Exam)
The final exam is a written test and each student must pass with an 70% score or higher. Students that do not pass will be allowed to retake the exam in accordance with the Montana Weatherization Training Center retesting policy.
Grading Criteria and Passing Score (BPI Exam)
Students wishing to challenge the initial online and field exams must verify eligibility by presenting their BPI Approval Letter indicating they have completed the training and experience prerequisites outlined in the BPI website, and successful application review by BPI.
Online exam: 100 multiple choice questions
Time limit: 2 ½ hours
Passing Score: 70%
Field exam: The field exam is a hands-on exam with gated items (below) that must be completed successfully to pass the exam, regardless of any other exam score.
- Candidate prepared combustible gas and CO measurement for use
- Candidate tested indoor ambient CO levels and compared results to current version of ANSI/BPI-1200
- Candidate tested indoor ambient air and verbally confirmed that combustible gases are below 10% of LEL on each floor
- Candidate monitored and stated ambient CO levels measured in the CAZ during entire combustion safety testing
- Candidate set combustion appliance to pilot or standby
Time limit: 4 hours
Passing Score: 82% on remaining tasks.
Processing time for exam results: 5 to 10 business days
BPI Energy Auditors must recertify every three (3) years.
If you have accumulated and submitted at least twenty-four (24) relevant BPI Continuing Education Units (CEUs) over the course of the time you were certified, you may bypass the online exam when it comes time to recertify. In addition, all candidates must re-take the field exam prior to expiration. Once you are EA recertified, you are automatically agreeing to BPI’s Code of Ethics.
Please refer to the recertification section in the Energy Auditor Certification Scheme Handbook for more information.
- Energy Auditors
- Home Inspectors
- Program Managers
- Crew Leaders
- Property Managers
- $625 for the public
- Free for associates of the Montana Weatherization Workforce
- BPI Energy Auditor certification Online exam: $325
- BPI Energy Auditor certification Field exam: $650
For additional information contact the Center at email@example.com or you can call (406) 586-0004.